Sunday, June 26, 2005

Desert Temptations - Part 4

(See parts 1, 2, and 3 also.)

We also discussed a theme brought up by Eric that centered on the questions, "Did Jesus know all along that he was Messiah and his ultimate work was the cross and resurrection? Or was it a gradual process that was revealed to him since he kept his divine nature in check?" We find in Luke that at the age of twelve, Jesus referred to God has "my Father" which indicates he knew he had a special relationship. He's baptized by John in Matthew 3, heaven is ripped open with a dove descending, and Jesus must see he has a special calling. The temptations seem to suggest that in his humanity, Jesus is coming to realize the full extent of what it means to be Messiah.

First, he's tempted with a fleshy need. "Hey, I'm chosen. And I seem to have special gifts. Can't I just use them to help me out? I am REALLY hungry. It would be so easy. Look at all these stones. Just a snap and poof. Bread!" If we may, we felt it was like Bruce Almighty. Once he realized who he had become, he worried about his own desires. The red sea parted in his soup, his jalopy became a Saleen, and his girl friend, well, never mind.

Second, it's about privelege. "Well, hey, I'm chosen. I'm special. I can do whatever I want and God will protect. How many times does he promise to protect me? Let's just have a little fun. Plus, it's been awhile since I've seen angels." Can anyone think of any similar situations?

Third, "Hey, now, I have power, true power. I can feed my armies and raise them when they die. All of this could be mine. And I wouldn't have to get hurt." If we may, we felt it was like Anakin in Episode III. He was surrounded by volcanoes, burdened by war and pain, masterfully manipulated by a liar, and caught between his love and his mentor. And all he wanted was peace and life, but in his own way, through his own might, and he would kill to get it.

And Jesus stood his ground. He humbled himself and trusted in God through His promises. He quoted from two consecutive portions of the Torah. In Hebrew, these portions are called "parashahs" and the two from which Jesus quoted are called Va'etchanan (which means "I pleaded") and 'Ekev (which means "because"). At the end of each parashah, the last few verses are called the maftir and summarize the portion. Listen to the maftirs of Va'etchanan and 'Ekev.

The maftir of Va'etchanan (Deut. 7:9-11):

9 Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands. 10 But those who hate him he will repay to their face by destruction; he will not be slow to repay to their face those who hate him. 11 Therefore, take care to follow the commands, decrees and laws I give you today.

The maftir of 'Ekev (Deut. 11:22-25):

22 If you carefully observe all these commands I am giving you to follow—to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways and to hold fast to him- 23 then the LORD will drive out all these nations before you, and you will dispossess nations larger and stronger than you. 24 Every place where you set your foot will be yours: Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the Euphrates River to the western sea. [a] 25 No man will be able to stand against you. The LORD your God, as he promised you, will put the terror and fear of you on the whole land, wherever you go.

More to follow.

No comments: