Wednesday, May 04, 2005

On the side again?

Dear President Bush and Vice President Cheney,

I am alarmed today after reading Nicholas Kristof's editorial in the NY Times on May 3, 2005 concerning your request to delete provisions about Darfur from current legislation. As you rightly named the tragedy there as genocide, so other agencies are reporting hundreds of thousands of dead due to ethnic violence. Can we stand by on the side again as innocents are slaughtered?

As a person of faith, I respect your fight for life issues such as unborn children and Terry Shiavo. Concerning Terry, you called for us to "build a culture of life, where all Americans are welcomed and valued and protected, especially those who live at the mercy of others." Does this not apply also to the innocent in Sudan? My heart breaks when I hear of the genocide in Sudan. I personally am limited in what I can do, but this great country, led by you, has the opportunity to save hundreds of thousands of lives.

Please be consistent in your culture of life. You have an opportunity to lead in the world in saving, feeding, clothing, and hundreds of the "least of these". Please act on our behalf. For me and my family, this is far more important than the price of gas or social security.

Thank you for your time.

--James

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, James. Thank you for being a voice for the voiceless and for having a heart like His.