Saturday, August 05, 2006

Like a child (part 1)

Ever since my daughter was born several years ago, I have been thinking about Jesus' comments about children. He said,
"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them."

Can my daughter teach me about the kingdom? With our second child to be born next week, I thought I would start keeping track of lessons learned from them.

First, she loves a good story. And the Bible is full of them. She is lost in the wonder of Genesis, and the funny names of genealogies (especially Amminadab from Jesus' family line in Matthew). She loves baby Moses and the little boy named Samuel. At night, she says, "Daddy, tell me a story about baby Jesus." It's precious. Nothing beats a good story.

Second, she makes connections. This evening I was telling her about the exodus. They were so hungry, very very hungry, and God provided with bread from heaven. And then she said, "Bread? It's like the little boy." I said, "What little boy?" She said, "The boy with bread. And the little fishes. He gave them to Jesus. And Jesus then fed the hungry people." Wow. A two year connected manna in the desert with Jesus and the five thousand. How long will it be before she connects the five loaves and two fishes to Sinai?

No comments: