Friday, June 01, 2007

Return to "Jesus" by Flusser

I recently realized I had never finished David Flusser's book, Jesus, and have returned to read it in depth. Flusser was an Orthodox Jew who lived in Israel and was an expert in Jesus and nascent Christianity. He was a founding member of the Jerusalem School of Synpotic Research. His book, Jesus, 2001, searches for the historical Jesus and "reflects the truism that Jesus was a Jew and wanted to remain within the Jewish faith but argues that, without the long preparatory work of contemporaneous Jewish faith, the teaching of Jesus would be unthinkable (Preface, Jesus)."

My goal is to take notes on this book and reflect on its conclusions. I lack the skills to read this critically and will approach the book as a novice student. I am particularly interested in Flusser's view of Jesus since as he says, "[I am] a practicing Jew and not a Christian, I am independent of any church. I readily admit, however, that I personal identify myself with Jesus' Weltanschauung, both moral and political, and I believe that the content of his teachings and the approach he embraced have always had the potential to change our world and prevent the greatest part of evil and suffering."

No comments: